If you’ve recently started wearing dentures, here are five top tips and tricks to ensure a smooth transition and to help you get the most out of your dentures:
- Practice reading out loud: it can take a little time to get used to speaking with dentures, so try reading out loud and practising talking during the first few days.
- Stick to soft foods at first: at first, it may feel slightly odd when you try and eat with your new dentures, but you will soon get used to them and eating will become second nature. For the first few days, we recommend sticking to soft foods such as yoghurts, scrambled eggs, soup and mashed potato. As you become more comfortable with your denture, you can start introducing slightly harder foods. It’s best to avoid anything sticky, such as chewy sweets, when you have dentures.
- Use both sides of your mouth when you eat: avoid eating on one side of your mouth only, as this will create an imbalance. Try to chew using both sides, take small mouthfuls and chew slowly until you have become accustomed to eating with your dentures.
- Drink plenty of water: it’s a good idea to drink lots of water when you first get your dentures, particularly at meal times and after eating.
- Wear your denture every day: it’s important to wear your denture every day so that you get used to it quicker and to reduce the risk of gum recession and bone loss.
If you have any questions about your new dentures or would like advice, don’t hesitate to call and speak to our dentists or pop in and see us.