Teeth whitening treatment is the practice of restoring teeth to their natural, whiter colour. Lots of factors affect the hue and colour of a person’s teeth as they age, from natural decay and alterations in the chemical structure, to more first hand influences like smoking and the consumption of certain foods and drinks that can stain the teeth. Aesthetically this can be quite bothersome and in a lot of cases can make a person feel self-conscious or lack self-esteem, especially in the growing age of the Hollywood smile.
There are, however, pros and cons in regards to teeth whitening and as with all decisions, it’s important to weigh them up before jumping straight in. After all, this is your mouth we’re talking about.
What are the pros and cons?
- A boost in self-esteem: having a winning smile that you are proud to show off can do wonders for your self-confidence, leading to a happier, healthier outlook in life.
- A simple process: with many at-home teeth whitening kits and over the counter products, teeth whitening can be both simple and affordable.
- Safe treatment: with dental assisted teeth whitening procedures, there is little to no risk. Though of course it’s important to only receive treatment from experienced dental professionals.
- Weakening of the enamel: unfortunately, some of the chemicals used in certain teeth whitening procedures can weaken the enamel over time leading to problems.
- Sensitivity: a downside to teeth whitening is that you might experience sensitive teeth.
These pros and cons should definitely give you something to think about if you are considering teeth whitening and it’s important to make sure that you don’t decide on anything until you are 100% confident in the decision that you have made. We have safe, effective teeth whitening treatments at Clifton Dental Studio in Bristol, so contact us today for more information.